Who doesn’t love a good pie? Use any of your preferred fillings and cut out scary faces to close these savoury treats and make them real Halloween pies.
As Halloween is the scariest party of the year, and mainly an opportunity to entertain kids, we have filled these pies with a tasty Bolognese sauce with added vegetables and great for those who don’t like pumpkin!
We don’t have a real oven in our tiny kitchen for the moment, but the air fryer was a perfect alternative, and we baked the pies in 30 minutes.
Scary Halloween Pies
- Pâte sablée
- Egg wash
Prepare the filling
- Bring salted water to the boil and cook the green peas, carrots and pumpkin separately. Add the cooked vegetables to the Bolognese sauce and season to taste.
Prepare the pie
- Roll out the pâte sablée to 2-3 mm thickness, then cut two discs, a large one for the mould and a smaller one for the top.
- Cut scary faces in the pastry tops and keep in the fridge.
- Gently grease the individual tart moulds and place the larger discs into it before pricking the bottoms of the tarts with a fork.
- Fill the tarts with the filling and brush the egg wash around the side of the tart.
- Close the pie with the smaller ‘Halloween faces’ and press with your fingers to close well.
- Keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Brush more egg wash on top and bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.