A traditional Bolognese is made with minced beef, otherwise it would be a vegetable stew or ratatouille. In this vegan spaghetti bolognese recipe we use plant based ‘meat’ to create a similar appearance and texture like the original version.
This recipe is made in the same way as our regular Bolognese sauce except for the addition of extra vegetables and red wine. The soy mince absorbs all the flavours during cooking therefore producing an intensely flavoured dish which at first taste you might not instantly recognise as meat free!
Served with wholewheat pasta, vegetable noodles, or spiralized butternut squash make it a filling dish. As with regular Bolognese, storing the sauce overnight before serving makes it even more flavourful.
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- Cook the onions and carrots in olive oil over a medium low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and champignons and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegan mince to the pot and break down the parcels if any.
- Stir in the tomato paste, Italian seasoning and pour the red wine into the cooking pot before bringing to a boil and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable broth, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked.
- Finish the vegan mince Bolognese sauce with the parsley.
- Any vegetable can be added such as chickpeas, lentils, aubergine, celery and much more.