On a salad; there is not always a need for heavy sauce or an excess of vegetables. This healthy salad, topped with snowfish, is packed with proteins, iron, fibre and vitamins.
The best part of this salad is that you only need to open a few cans of beans, then you can look in your fridge and sort your fresh herbs to flavour it up. You can opt for your own vinaigrette or dressing but we make it a bit more impressive with a bacon infused oil. It gives extra flavour and the fried bacon itself gives some extra crunch.
Snow fish is truly an exceptional fish. While it is an oil-rich fish, it doesn’t taste oily, and its large, thick flakes melt in your mouth.
We keep the natural flavours of the fish by cooking it in a court-bouillon, an aromatic liquid which is used to poach fish, seafood and even chicken.
For those who are health conscious, this is most definitely a salad that fits into many popular, healthy eating plans. There are also options for vegetarians and vegans since the mixed bean salad can be served on its own without the fish and the bacon.
Also check other fish and seafood recipes
Poached snow fish with mixed bean salad
- 500 gr snow fish fillet or cod
For the fish court bouillon
- 2 L water
- 1 pc bouquet garni
- 1 pc lemon
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1-2 pcs garlic cloves crushed
- 2 pcs shallots chopped
For the salad
- 1 tin pinto beans or white beans
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 120 gr bacon
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 8 pcs cherry tomato quartered
- 1-2 pcs garlic cloves chopped
- 2 pcs shallots chopped
- 2 tbsp mint chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 4 tbsp bacon oil
Make a court-bouillon and prepare the fish
- Bring the water to the boil with the salt, pepper and the other ingredients for the court bouillon.
- Let them infuse for 10 minutes before placing the fish in the court-bouillon.
- When back at boiling point, cover with a lid and turn off the heat. The fish will cook through in the warm bouillon.
Prepare the dressing
- Heat the canola oil and fry the bacon until crispy, then strain the oil, and allow it to cool.
- Mix the Dijon mustard with salt, pepper and vinegar. Whisk in the bacon flavoured oil gradually. Season to taste.
Prepare the salad
- Drain and rinse all the excess starch from the beans under cold running water.
- Mix together with the remaining ingredients for the salad and keep cool.
- Mix the dressing into the bean salad and remove the fish fillet from the court-bouillon just before serving.
- A bouquet garni is a bundle of herbs consisting of thyme, bay leaf and parsley tied together with string. The bouquet is cooked with the other ingredients but is removed prior to consumption