Mussels were considered a delicatesse by our ancestors, but we’re pretty sure they probably didn’t try them served with a lovely red-wine vinegar dressing and Boston lettuce.
Perfect paring with Boston lettuce
Boston lettuce, also known as Tom Thumb, Bibb lettuce, butter lettuce, buttercrunch, and round lettuce is delicious and flavourful in salads. The loose leaves have a slight sweet flavour and a tender texture which lends itself perfectly to being the basis of this dish where all ingredients are served in and on the lettuce head.
This salad can be prepared one day in advance and assembled just before serving. Cook the mussels marinière and allow them to cool
Chilled Mussels and Boston Lettuce Salad
Prepare the dressing
- Chop all garnishes.
- Mix the red wine vinegar with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Gently add the chopped garnishes to the vinaigrette and season to taste.
Prepare the salad
- Toss the boiled mussel meat into the dressing
- Remove the outer leaves of the Boston lettuce and wash in cold water.Peel and cut the boiled potato into thick slices. Cut the boiled green beans into sticks.
- Gently open the Boston lettuce leaves, insert the boiled potato, and green beans in between.
- Spoon the marinated mussels on top. Serve the dressing on the side.