If you are, just like us, a fan of mussels we will sweep you off your feet with this delicious mussel cream soup.
It’s a quick recipe and you can use the leftovers (if you have some) of moules marinières!
Use the mussel juice and add only 3 ingredients to cook a completely different but mouthwatering dish.
Saffron is one of the extra ingredients and is known as the most expensive spice on earth. No worries, we are only adding 2 grams, which is enough for the carotenoid inside the saffron, to contribute towards the beautiful yellow colour of the soup.
If you like, you can substitute the saffron with yellow curry powder. It will slightly change the taste but the dish will still be delicious. Also read our other recipes with mussels.
Mussel orange and saffron cream soup
- 300 ml mussel cooking juice
- 24 pcs mussel meat
- 150 ml orange juice
- 150 ml cream
- 1 pc orange zest
- 2 gr saffron threads
- 20 gr butter
- 20 gr flour
For the garnish:
- 20 gr carrot julienne
- 20 gr turnip julienne
- 20 gr leek julienne
- To make a roux, melt the butter over a medium heat and stir in the flour. Keep stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- For the soup, add the mussel juice and the orange juice to the roux, stir well to combine and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and the saffron and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sweat the vegetables for the garnish with a pinch of pepper and salt until tender.
- Season the soup to taste with the orange zest, salt and pepper. Warm the mussel meat in the soup and serve hot with the garnish.
- Use salt with moderation because the mussel juice is already salty.
- A thick version of this soup can be used as a sauce for a pasta dish.
- If you don’t have a cocotte, use a large, heavy saucepan.