When oranges are available, many recipes come to mind. Today we’re feeling like making an ‘orange tatin’ and exchanging apples for oranges in this upside down cake.
An important part of this cake recipe is to ensure the caramel is to the point. Dark brown caramel can be bitter and slightly golden caramel too sweet. Make sure the caramel is set and crystalised before you add anything else into the mould.
The second part is peeling the orange correctly. We use the same technique as when we segment any kind of citrus fruit.
The third part of this cake is the batter mix and folding in the egg whites correctly is crucial.
How to fold whipped egg whites correctly into a batter mix
- Take a small portion of the whipped egg whites – ¼ or less with a whisk into the batter.
- Carefully add the remaining egg whites and fold them gently into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Make sure that no lumps remain.
You can serve this caramelized orange cake with some clotted cream and ice cream.
Also read about our other desserts.
Caramelized orange cake
For the caramel
- 150 gr caster sugar
- 45 ml water
For the cake
- 1 pc orange
- 2 pcs squeezed orange juice + zest
- 100 gr caster sugar
- 3 pcs egg yolks
- 150 ml canola oil
- 180 gr plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 pcs egg whites
Prepare the cake mould
- Grease a round cake mould (20cm diameter) with butter or oil spray and place a round parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the water with the sugar to make a caramel and pour it in the cake mould.
- Let it set completely.
- Peel 1 orange and slice into 4-5mm thick. Arrange the slices on the crystalized caramel.
Prepare the batter mix
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and fluffy. Add the canola oil and mix well.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder together before gently folding it into the egg yolk mixture with a spatula.
- Add the orange juice and zest.
- Whip the egg white to soft peaks and fold into the orange batter mix.
- Pour the finished batter into the cake mould and bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes.
- When the cake is cooked wait for 10 minutes before unmoulding upside down.
- This cake can be made with other fruit such as apple or pineapple.