Vegan Nachos – Comfort Food You Can’t Resist
We can confirm that vegan nachos are as delicious as those made with meat! We recently had a lazy cooking day and used a vegan ‘Bolognese’ we made earlier with toppings of refried beans, guacamole, jalapeños, and a simple tomato salsa. As we used silky smooth and creamy toppings there was no need for any cheese!
Nachos are the perfect snack to serve at a party, great for an emergency lunch, or a lazy day of relaxation. It is also the ideal way to incorporate a meat free meal into your diet.
Origin of nachos
Ignacio Anaya, a Mexican chef invented this dish in 1943 in Piedras Negras, Mexico. When a group of customers arrived at the Victory Club restaurant after closing, he gathered available ingredients including corn tortilla wedges, cheese and jalapeños and prepared nachos! His dish was a success and has stayed a firm favourite on the menu.
Serve a nacho buffet
Some people like nachos with all the toppings and others prefer less, or to separate their toppings. Setting up a nacho buffet or nacho bar is the perfect way to allow guests to choose their own combinations.
Irresistible Vegan Nachos
- 1 pkt corn tortilla chips 300gr
- 200 gr vegan ‘Bolognese’ sauce
- 1-2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 200 gr refried beans
- 200 gr guacamole
- 200 gr tomato salsa
- ½ pc ripe avocado
- 2 pcs pickled jalapenos
- 6-8 pcs Pitted black olives sliced
- ½ pc limes
- fresh coriander leaves
- Warm the vegan bolognese with the taco seasoning and stir well.
- Arrange the tortilla chips onto a baking tray or a small skillet and toast them in the oven at 180°C (32°F) for 3-4 minutes or until hot and fragrant. Do not burn.
- Spoon the sauce on top of the tortilla chips and top with the tomato salsa.Sprinkle the black olives and a few dots of refried beans and guacamole around the plate.
- Garnish the nachos with some avocado chunks, pickled jalapeño slices, fresh coriander and lime wedges.
- Serve the remaining toppings on the side.
Nutrition for 1 portion
Highlights of vegan nachos
Nachos are a popular snack and making a meat free version is the perfect way for everyone to enjoy! Adding only vegetable toppings such as guacamole and tomato salsa is perfect but the addition of plant-based minced is adding extra texture and flavour.