Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern dishes can be reproduced as a delicious vegan alternative, and today we are using plant-based ‘meat’ as a substitute to prepare vegan koftas!
The V2 plant-based meat is perfect for making koftas, also named kebabs or keftedes, as it sticks together well to create the typical sausage shape on a stick even after the addition of flavoursome ingredients.
Choose other plant-based ‘meats’ for this recipe, but just make sure the meat is wet enough to hold its shape during grilling or frying.
Mediterranean Vegan Koftas
For the koftas
For the herb paste
For the garnish
- ½ pc lemon
- Mixed tomato salsa
Prepare the mixed herb paste
- Toast the pine nuts in the oven at 160°C for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown or toast them in the pan over a medium low heat.
- Place all ingredients into the food processor and blend to obtain a fresh herb paste.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and a few drops of lemon juice (optional).
- Transfer the herb paste into a jar with a lid and refrigerate.
Prepare the koftas
- Combine all ingredients for the kofta mix and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Divide the kofta mixture into six equal parts, at approximately 40 gr each.
- Make sausage shapes and squeeze the koftas onto bamboo skewers.
- Heat the grill to high and grill the kebab skewers for 3-4 minutes on each side.Grill the lemon for a few minutes.
- Arrange the vegan kofta skewers on a platter with the herb paste on top and the charred lemon aside.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for 20 minutes to prevent burning during grilling.
- The 7 Oriental spice mix is a blend of black pepper, cumin, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom.