Vegan Kofta – Mediterranean Inspired Kebabs
Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern dishes can be reproduced as a delicious vegan alternative, and today we are using plant-based ‘meat’ as a substitute to prepare vegan koftas!
The V2 plant-based meat is perfect for making koftas, also named kebabs or keftedes, as it sticks together well to create the typical sausage shape on a stick even after the addition of flavoursome ingredients.
Choose other plant-based ‘meats’ for this recipe, but just make sure the meat is wet enough to hold its shape during grilling or frying.
Serve these koftas with a delicious herb paste (of which we forgot to take step by step pictures) and a tomato salad but they also pair well with a grilled vegetable salad.
Mediterranean Vegan Koftas
Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern dishes can be reproduced as a delicious vegan alternative.
For the koftas
- 180 gr vegan plant-based ‘meat’
- 1 tbsp of 7 Oriental spice mix
- 4 gr chopped garlic
- 25 gr chopped yellow onions
- 1-2 pcs chopped green and red chillies
- 2-3 tbsp slivered roasted almonds
- 1-2 tbsp fresh coriander
For the herb paste
- 15 gr flat parsley leaves
- 15 gr coriander leaves
- 15 gr basil leaves
- 10 gr garlic cloves
- 20 gr green chilies
- 25 gr toasted pine nuts
- 40-50 ml olive oil
For the garnish
- ½ pc lemon
- Mixed tomato salsa
Prepare the mixed herb paste
- Toast the pine nuts in the oven at 160°C for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown or toast them in the pan over a medium low heat.
- Place all ingredients into the food processor and blend to obtain a fresh herb paste.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and a few drops of lemon juice (optional).
- Transfer the herb paste into a jar with a lid and refrigerate.
Prepare the koftas
- Combine all ingredients for the kofta mix and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Divide the kofta mixture into six equal parts, at approximately 40 gr each.
- Make sausage shapes and squeeze the koftas onto bamboo skewers.
- Heat the grill to high and grill the kebab skewers for 3-4 minutes on each side.Grill the lemon for a few minutes.
- Arrange the vegan kofta skewers on a platter with the herb paste on top and the charred lemon aside.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for 20 minutes to prevent burning during grilling.
- The 7 Oriental spice mix is a blend of black pepper, cumin, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom.
Nutrition for 1 portion
Calories: 503kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 19gFat: 39gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 556mgFiber: 7gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 1566IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 196mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! #culinaryambition