A classic Cordon Bleu is breaded and fried but because many people ask us for healthier options, we prepare this veal cordon bleu in the air fryer. Air frying means preparation is quicker, and flavour and the crispiness of the meat is retained.
We are featuring veal today, but this dish can easily be made with pork or chicken. Pound the meat to a thin escalope and fill it with the ham and cheese before passing it through the flour, the egg and the breadcrumbs.
We like to serve this dish with spiralized sweet potatoes which can also be prepared in the air fryer.
Air Fried Veal Cordon Bleu
- Pound the escalopes between 2 parchment sheets to 3mm thick and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cheese and the ham on the escalope and fold the veal to cover the cheese and ham.
- Prepare 3 containers for the breading process: 1 x plain flour, 1 x beaten egg with salt, pepper, 1 tbsp water or oil, and 1 x breadcrumbs
- Dredge the veal “pocket” in the flour first then dip in the egg, make sure the veal is well coated and finish by coating in the breadcrumbs. Place the breaded veal in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- Set your air fryer at 180°C and bake the cordon bleu for 8-10 minutes. Serve with vegetables of your choice.
- The cordon bleu can also be prepared with chicken or pork.
- Chilling the cordon bleu before cooking helps the coating to adhere well when cooking.
- Any kind of cheese, smoked or not, can be used if it melts easily such as mozzarella, cheddar, gouda, or taleggio…