We all know that tomatoes are red, but did you know that the juice is clear? We also know that it is not easy to change this classic bloody Mary cocktail, take it to another level with this tomato water recipe and create a better version.
From now onward you can transform your classic Bloody Mary and add another dimension by using tomato water. The look of your cocktail will be bright and clear while the flavours will be more intense. All it takes is ‘overnight patience’ while your clear tomato water drips through a cheesecloth.
If you live in a hot climate or if your summers get really hot like in Shanghai, consider buying a sphere ice mold tray. It looks fancier, the ice sphere will last much longer and keep your cocktail cool while you enjoy without diluting it too much.
Add a chilli pepper to your tomatoes while pulsing and you will give an extra spicy kick to this drink..
Share some feedback once you’ve tried it!
Tomato water Bloody Mary
Prepare the tomato water
- Use a food processor (not a blender) to pulse the tomatoes with the chilli (take out the chilli seeds).
- Add salt and pulse a few times.
- Pour the pulsed tomatoes into a cheesecloth-lined strainer or into a coffee filter over a bowl and leave in the fridge to strain overnight.
- In the morning, discard the pulp and keep for other recipes. The clear tomato liquid is the tomato water.
Serve the cocktail
- Use a long drink glass or tumbler and pour the tomato water and vodka over ice.
- Give a quick stir and serve with a dash of tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a cherry tomato and celery leaves.
- We like guests to decide how ‘spicy’ they want their Bloody Mary and serve the Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce on the side.
- Some people prefer to use lemon vodka or add a dash of lemon juice, but this is not a classic ingredient of a Bloody Mary.