Tomato mozzarella, wherever you are in the world, is one of the most popular dishes on the menu. Unfortunately there is never a lot of creativity and it is often presented the same unimaginative way.
Food does need to be tasty, but the visual appearance is equally important, and therefore Yannick presents a classic tomato mozzarella in many different ways. Nowadays, food art is important when presenting a plate and this is such a plate which shows platingskills.
For one of the presentations I got inspired by the Rubik’s Cube and created my own Cubik Mato with the help of some molecular cuisine.
Related: Mixed tomato mozarella salad
Cubik Mato – a fancy tomato mozarella
For the Mozza
For the tomato
- 500 ml fresh tomato juice
- 4 gr agar agar
- Salt pepper, tabasco
- Olive oil
- Maltodextrin powder
- Baby cress basil….
Make fresh ricotta
- Prepare a sieve with a wet towel or a cheesecloth over a large bowl.
- Combine all ingredients and bring to the boil. Stir occasionally and reduce the heat.
- Simmer until the mixture curdles after 10 minutes. If you see a lot of unseparated milk, add some more lemon juice.
- Use a skimmer or a slotted spoon to transfer the curdled milk into the lined sieve and let it drain for an hour.
- Discard the liquid (whey), cover the ricotta cheese and refrigerate.
Make the mozzarella
- Whisk all ingredients for the mozzarella together.
- Bring to the boil for a minute, remove from the heat and then whisk 100 gr of the freshly made ricotta into the mixture.
- Transfer immediately into a silicon mould and refrigerate.
Make the tomato
- Combine the tomato juice, agar agar and seasoning, bring to the boil for a minute and transfer immediately into a silicon mould and refrigerate.
Prepare the oil powder
- Whisk a small amount of olive oil with the maltodextrin powder until it forms crumbs.
Presentation of the dish
- Unmold the molecular mozzarella and tomato then pile the cubes to form a “chess” pattern.
- Sprinkle the olive oil powder around the cube and garnish with fresh baby cress and basil.
- Silicon mould is from Silikomart 2x2x2cm. Spray a little baking oil inside the mould before adding the ingredients.
- The mould can be placed in the freezer for a while, it makes it easier to unmold.
- For extra visuals, place a few tomato seeds in the mold before pouring the tomato juice.