Try something new with Shanghai pork noodles! This recipe is the perfect alternative to your typical midweek meal and the opportunity to attempt a different cuisine within your own home.
Shanghai is a bustling city with international flair along with an abundance of local traditions. Local delicacies as well as a richness of world cuisine are readily available. Noodles are a Shanghai speciality and the choice of many for a quick lunch or dinner replenishing the diner for an afternoon’s work or for an evening meal. Prepare this easy recipe yourself and evoke the taste of China.
Why using Shanghai noodles
Shanghai noodles are a thicker variety of noodles and slightly chewy. Udon noodles, rice noodles and egg noodles are good choices to make this dish too.
We love to see the vendors hand pulling the noodles at the market as it is always fascinating and exciting to watch. It should come as no surprise that the noodles are the superstars of this dish and with the addition of a few extra ingredients this dish becomes a hearty meal. Noodles are traditionally prepared with pork, but great alternatives are chicken, beef, vegetables or mushrooms.
Dried pasta such as spaghetti, linguine or buckwheat are equally suitable to add Western style to this dish. Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions and follow the recipe in the same way.
Stir Fried Shanghai Noodles with Pork
Seasoning for the pork
Prepare the pork
- Combine all ingredients to season the pork
- Marinate the pork strips shortly in the seasoning mix and keep aside.
- Stir fry the marinated pork with a small amount of oil for about two minutes.
Prepare the vegetables
- Sauté or wok the shiitake, pak choi, carrots and pumpkin over a medium heat.
- Add 100 ml water and cover with a lid for 2 minutes to steam the vegetables.Remove the lid and let the liquid evaporate.
Finish the stir fried noodles
- Boil the fresh noodles for 2-3 minutes and drain the water.
- Combine the cooked pork strips and spring onions with the vegetables.
- Add the boiled noodles and toss well with the rest.
- Stir in the seasoning for the noodles and mix well and serve.