Difference between skates and stingrays
There is often discussion about the difference between stingray and skate.
Skates and rays are a large group of flat bodied fish that are caught worldwide. They are bottom-dwelling fish with pectoral fins that are so large that they appear to be wings.
Skates typically have shorter, thicker tails than stingrays, and they do not have a stinger. Stingrays get their name from their sharp, stinging barb on their tail that helps them defend themselves. Stingrays also tend to be larger than skates, although this is not a hard-and-fast rule.
What does meunière mean?
Stingray wing meunière is a classic French culinary term which means that the fish is cooked in brown butter. The flesh of stingrays is flaky and has a succulent flavour.
The tartare sauce is another classic and adds a refreshing touch.
Stingray Wing Meunière with Tartare Sauce
- 1 pc stingray or skate wing 500-600gr skin off
- 1 tbsp capers
For the tartare sauce
- Prepare the tartare sauce by combining all ingredients and season to taste.
- Trim the thin part of the skate wing edge, pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the fish in a mixture of 1 tbsp of butter with 1 tbsp of olive oil over a medium to high heat. Leave it to cook for 4-5 minutes on the first side, until a nice golden brown colour.
- Flip the fish, add 1 tbsp of butter and continue cooking until brown on the other side.
- Baste continually with butter to keep it moist.
- Add the capers into the pan at the last minute.
- When the fish is cooked, remove it and drain the excess oil on a paper towel before serving.
- The freshness of the stingray or skate wing is a must because this fish turns bad quickly and smells like ammonia when it’s off.
- It is not necessary to dredge the skate wing with flour if using a good quality Teflon pan.
- How do you know if the fish is cooked properly? The flesh can be lifted away easily from the cartilage.
Nutrition for 1 portion
Highlights of stingray wing meunière
If you enjoy eating fish and wish to try a different species, then you will love stingray wing meunière.
Prepared with a lovely sauce and your favourite vegetables, it will provide the unique meal you crave!