Some call them stuffed eggs and others refer to them as dressed eggs, Russian eggs or devilled eggs, but because we are making them for Halloween, today we are calling them spider devilled eggs!
The basic recipe is the same as for regular devilled eggs. For our spider eggs we simply start with hard boiled eggs cut in halves, and then use the yolk to mix with other ingredients. Paprika powder turns the filling into a reddish colour and the spooky spiders are made from pitted black olives. One half of an olive is used as the body and the spider legs are made with the other half.
Get the kids involved, they will love to make the spiders! If they haven’t tried olives, they might start to eat them because of this occasion. Trick or treat? These spooky spiders are a treat and go well alongside other Halloween treats such as guacamole spider’s web dip and cute sausage mummies. Once the appetizers are finished, why not make the scary Halloween pies?
Spooky Spider Devilled Eggs
- 4 pcs eggs
- 2 tbsp homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp 5 spice powder
- ½ tsp cayenne chilli powder optional
- Pitted black olives
- Boil the eggs for 10 minutes. After cooling the eggs, cut them lengthwise and scoop the yolk into a bowl.
- Mash the egg yolk with a fork or use a sieve to make it really smooth then mix with the mayonnaise. Add the paprika, the 5 spice powder, cayenne powder and season to taste with salt, pepper, and a dash of tabasco.
- Fill the egg white with the help of a piping bag or a spoon.
- Cut one olive lengthwise and use one half as the body and make spider legs with the other half on top of the devilled egg.
- Always make your own mayonnaise, it tastes better and for this recipe you need a firm mayonnaise.