We all know that sole is the most delicious fish, with a unique taste and texture. It has a mild, buttery, sweet flavour, and it is very easy to fillet. Pairing sole fillet with black truffle sauce can only make this dish exquisite!
What are black truffles
The black truffle is named after the Périgord region in France. Black truffles are associated with oaks, hazelnut, cherry, and other deciduous trees and are harvested in late autumn and winter.
Black truffles are also called black diamonds and have specific characteristics such as a strong flavour and aroma with notes of earthiness and tannins. They look dark, robust and have veined flesh.
Related: How to fillet flat fish
Sole fillet with black truffle sauce
- Boil the shallots, baby potatoes, and celery in vegetable stock. When tender, remove the potatoes and celery sticks and keep aside.
- Blend the shallots with the vegetable stock to a smooth sauce and mix in the diced butter.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and grated black truffle.
- Season the sole fillets with salt and pepper and pan fry on both sides in oil and butter over a medium high heat.
- Add the potatoes and celery sticks to the pan and sauté.
- Sprinkle chopped spring onion and chervil on the fish and sauce to finish the dish.
- The celery will be cooked first, keep the baby potatoes cooked but firm, and cook the shallots until completely soft.
- The puree of cooked shallots is used as a thickening agent.
Add a little bit of water to the sauce if the texture is too thick.