Tender Slow Cooked Beef Chuck Steak
What is chuck roll?
Chuck roll is an inexpensive, large, boneless cut that comes from between the ribs and backbone. The chuck roll contains a mix of tender and somewhat tough muscles with quite a bit of fat. This part of the beef is mainly used for stews, braising and stir-frying but you can also get some good quality roast as well as beef chuck steak from it and that is exactly what we are making today!
We’ll use the meat at the end of the rib which contains a similar tender muscle as a ribeye. Just remove the connective tissue and fat around it and you are ready to follow our instructions to slow-cook this piece of meat and prepare a delicious dinner.
How to tenderize meat when preparing chuck roll?
Do you find your piece of meat too tough? You can choose to brine it before starting the cooking process. Brining is a classic, easy way to soften the mussles in meat.
We had a Languedoc wine with it and the pairing was just right 😉
Other inexpensive meat dishes can be be found here.
Slow cooked beef chuck steak
- 1 kg beef chuck roll
- 100 gr carrot mirepoix
- 100 gr onion mirepoix
- 1 pc orange
- 150 gr tomato concasse
- 1 pc bouquet garni
- 3-4 pc garlic cloves
- 50 ml water
- 80 ml water or veal stock
- Grape seed oil
For the garnish
- 200 gr tomato concasse
- 2 pcs eggplants
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped black olives
- 3 tbsp capers
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Bind the chuck roll with kitchen twine and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear the meat on all sides in an iron cast pot in hot grape seed oil then remove the beef from the pot.
- Sweat the mirepoix for 5 minutes, deglaze with the white wine, add the tomato concasse, garlic, bouquet garni, quartered orange and water.
- Heat up the oven to 110°C.
- Place the chuck roll back into the pot with the other ingredients, place the lid on and cook in the oven for 3 hours to 3 ½ hours .
- When everything is cooked and cooled, wrap the chuck roll in cling film and refrigerate.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve and bring back to the heat to reduce until it thickens.
The next day
- Slice the eggplants to 3-4 mm thick and sprinkle with salt, keep aside for 15 minutes to release the water.
- Pat dry the eggplants, lightly coat them with starch and pan fry in olive oil.
- Arrange alternatively the eggplant and tomato concasse on a baking tray, grate some parmesan on top and place under the grill until hot and crispy.
- Cut steaks from the cooked beef chuck roll and pan fry them with butter and garlic until crispy brown.
- Pour the sauce in the pan with the steaks and baste the meat constantly.
- Arrange the steak on the plate with a good spoon of the rich sauce and the black olive & capers on top, serve the gratinated eggplant on the side.
- Beef chuck roll is an inexpensive boneless cut with a rich flavour and tenderness.
- Chuck is good for braising, slow cooking, stewing or mincing.
- If you have one of your favourite beef chuck steak recipes for the slow cooker, you might like to read this crock pot review.
Nutrition for 1 portion
Highlights of slow cooked beef chuck steak
In addition to being budget conscious for family meals, beef chuck steak is also convenient, since it is perfect for cooking in your slow cooker.
As a result of the long hours of simmering with other juices from vegetables and broth, the chuck roll becomes so tender you can break it apart with a fork.
By adding your favourite ingredients from beef chuck steak recipes created for the slow cooker, you can make an economical, but healthy meal which will be quite tasty and enjoyable.