As October comes to an end and there is no denying that pumpkin is now the food of the season. There are plenty of dishes to come up with, but we find these pinwheels fun, a little different and feel they will work well during this Halloween week.
The mix of pumpkin with spinach and cream cheese is an explosion of subtle but characterful flavours. These pinwheels can be served with an aperitif as well as a side dish. However you choose to mix and match ingredients in this flavour bomb, it will be a crowd pleaser.
Although these pinwheels ask for a time commitment, you can prepare them in advance, freeze the logs, then slice and bake them at the very last minute.
This recipe is created for Champagne en wijnen De Blender.
Savoury Pumpkin and Spinach Pinwheels
- 1 pack pack of puff pastry roll
- 400 gr pumpkin
- 2 tbsp honey
- 400 gr fresh spinach
- 1 pc chopped garlic clove
- ½ pc chopped fresh red chili
- 20 gr toasted pine nuts
- 100 gr cream cheese
- 1 pc egg yolk + 1 tbsp water
- Ground cinnamon nutmeg
Prepare the vegetables
- Cut 200 gr of pumpkin into sticks of 10 x1x1 cm. Season the pumpkin sticks with salt, pepper, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of cinnamon, then roast in the oven at 200°C until soft and tender.
- Place the remaining pumpkin in a saucepan with 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper and 10 cl water. Place the lid on and cook until the water has evaporated and the pumpkin is soft enough to mash. Adjust the seasoning and keep aside.
- Stir fry the garlic and chili before adding the spinach. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and the crushed toasted pine nuts.
Prepare the pinwheels
- Make the egg wash by beating the egg yolk with water.
- Cut the cream cheese into sticks the same size as the pumpkin.
- Arrange the puff pastry on a floured work surface, spread the mashed pumpkin on it and arrange the rest of the prepared ingredients.
- Roll the puff pastry and freeze for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Cut the pinwheels and place on a baking tray. Bake for 20 -25 minutes until golden brown.