Tagliatelle and tagliolini are a traditional type of pasta from the Emilia-Romagna and Marche regions of Italy. The long, flat ribbons are similar in shape to fettuccine and are typically about 6.5 to 10 mm wide.
This salmon pesto recipe might look like it needs a lot of effort, but it is pretty easy and there is room for creativity. The ingredient preparation is stress free and the fresh pasta and the coriander pesto can be prepared in advance which results in a short cooking time which is great when you need to get dinner on the table!
With this restaurant quality dish, you will impress your family and friends without breaking the bank. Vegetarians can also enjoy this dish without the salmon.
Salmon Pesto Tagliatelle
- 200 gr fresh egg tagliatelle
- 2 tbsp coriander pesto sauce
- 250 gr salmon loin skinless
- 6-8 pcs coarsely chopped whole almonds
- ½ pc lemon juice
- 6 pcs caper berries or 12 capers
- 200 gr cabbage
- Wash and clean the cabbage then blanch in salted water for 2 minutes or until tender then transfer to an iced water bath.
- Use the same water to boil the tagliatelle for 3 to 5 minutes depending on the size and stir a few times to prevent the pasta from sticking together. Follow instructions on the package if you prefer store bought pasta.
- Warm the coriander pesto and add a little water from the cooking water (pasta) to dilute the pesto sauce.
- Drain the tagliatelle, stir well into the pesto sauce to combine and season to taste.
- Season the salmon fillet with salt and pepper and pan fry it in olive oil with a knob of butter over a medium heat. Baste the salmon to prevent it from drying out.
- Add and toast the almonds with the salmon, squeeze fresh lemon over it, and add caper berries to warm before serving.
- Cooking time to get a perfect “al dente” is an estimation and depends on the thickness of your pasta.
- When draining the pasta it is crucial to keep some of the cooking water. The starchy pasta water acts as both a thickener and emulsifying agent, making the pesto sauce more creamy and allowing the fresh pasta to be coated harmoniously.
- You can choose cabbage of your choice such as napa cabbage, pak choi, savoy, romanesco.