Roasted spring chicken is easy to make, and you can use a conventional oven or an air fryer as we did which speeds up the process. We find air frying is usually quicker and the meat stays moist and juicy.
Spring chicken is a young chicken less than 28 days old. It is also commonly named poussin, but this is more the butcher’s term. A spring chicken usually weighs 400–450 grams but no more than 750 grams.
We love to gratin with Comte cheese because the flavour is not too strong and together with the Parmesan cheese it gives the best crust! Because you, gratin you can choose to have dinner directly or you can roast in advance.
Also read our other poultry recipes.
Roasted Spring Chicken with Comte Cheese
Prepare the chicken
- Season with salt and pepper, place a sprig of thyme in the cavity and rub with some cooking oil.
- Roast the spring chicken in the oven at 180°C for 40-45 minutes and baste every 15 minutes until golden brown or you can roast it in an air fryer.
- Rest the spring chicken on a wire rack until cool.
Finish the dish
- Place your knife in the cavity of the chicken and remove the back bone by cutting on each side of it.
- Flip the chicken over and cut it in half.
- Arrange the grated cheese all over and place in the oven to gratin.