Hummus is a must at every party and luckily, it’s easy to make and many varieties are possible. This roasted red bell pepper variation is silky smooth with a slightly smoky flavour and best of all, it can be made a day in advance. One thing’s for sure, it will always add flavour to your lunch or dinner!
Hummus is also a healthy snack with plenty of proteins and fibre. Our secret to this red pepper hummus is to add enough red peppers and avoid it being bland. Additionally, we season with cayenne pepper to add a little ‘kick’.
When using canned chickpeas, rinse them well, simmer as instructed and peel them before processing. This process is not essential, but it will make your hummus more silkier and smoother.
Roast the peppers under a broiler/grill in the oven or use a blowtorch until they are completely blackened. Add them to a plastic bag to sweat and after 10 minutes remove the skin under cold running water. The flesh of the pepper will be soft with a smoky flavour.
Related: Aubergine caviar
Ways to serve red pepper hummus
- The most common way to serve this dish is as a dip. Eat the rainbow and serve it with freshly cut carrots and other vegetables. Tortilla chips or flat bread are also popular and perfect to dip.
- We like to use a more liquid version of this hummus as a ‘dressing’ and flavour maker in wraps.
- Last but not least, is to use it as a spread in a sandwich instead of mayonnaise or sour cream.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Burn the skin of the pepper under a broiler/grill or with a blowtorch. Once the skin is burned, wrap it in a plastic bag and wait for 10 minutes. The skin will remove very easily under running water or in a bowl of water.
- Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Simmer them in a little water for 10 minutes and remove the skins. The hummus will be smoother after blending.
- Combine the sweet pepper, the chickpeas and all other ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
- Adjust the thickness by adding extra olive oil or some water and season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Serve with vegetable sticks or tortilla chips.