It’s not a usual glaze but this delicious and easy balsamic reduction will elevate your dishes to the highest levels. The tanginess of the vinegar with the fruity sweetness of the pomegranate are a perfect combination and complement fatty fish recipes and even desserts.
Only 3 essential ingredients are required for this reduction and only a little preparation is needed to make everything fresh. Another positive is that you can store this reduction for up to 1 year in a cool dark place, just like any other vinegar.
How to make pomegranate juice
There is an effortless way to release the arils from the casing of a pomegranate. Find this information in our step-by-step guide showing how to open a pomegranate.
Once the arils are released, place them into a blender and blend to obtain a juice. Pour the mix through a strainer and your juice is ready to use.
How to make grenadine
Store bought grenadine is an easy option but if you have pomegranates to hand you can make it yourself. Check out our recipe showing how to make grenadine if you want to try it.
Pomegranate Balsamic Glaze Reduction
- Combine the pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar and grenadine syrup in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce for 15-20 minutes until the juice has a syrupy consistency.Add a pinch of cayenne chili pepper powder 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Strain the pomegranate glaze through a fine mesh.Store the pomegranate glaze in a glass jar.
- The pomegranate’s acidity level and sweetness may vary depending on the season.
- You might need to adjust the amount of ingredients to get the right balance and shininess for the glaze.