Have you ever used ricotta cheese to make a cake? If this is your first time, you won’t be disappointed. Using ricotta cheese will add a softer texture and will make the cake lighter.
This orange cake is quite straightforward to make but your choice of baking tin will make the presentation particularly special. We have chosen to use a couronne mould today but feel free to use your imagination and preference, or any available cake mould in your home!
Soft Orange Cake with Icing
- Brush some butter around the couronne baking mould and keep to one side.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and honey together until thick and fluffy.
- Add the oil, ricotta and orange juice to the egg mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add the salt, saffron, baking powder and the flour and combine gently to obtain a light and soft texture.
- Pour the orange cake mixture into the baking mould and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
- When the cake is baked, remove from the oven and flip it onto a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the icing sugar with some orange juice.When the cake is at room temperature, pour the glaze and let it set.
- Use a bamboo stick or needle to check if the cake is cooked. It should come out clean.
- A light and fruity olive oil can be used to balance and bring natural Mediterranean flavours.