Who doesn’t love a bowl of mushroom cream soup? The season where we need to warm our inner bodies has started. Although it’s not our favourite time of the year, on the culinary side it is a very enjoyable season with plenty of interesting ingredients to add to the menu. Soup is only one way to shake up the menu and mushroom soup should definitely be part of it.
Mushrooms, especially dried shiitake or porcini, are sources of umami flavour. If you want a full umami-rich broth, you’ll have to soak and boil these mushrooms in water to rehydrate and soften them. The dark broth you will get after this process can be added to the chicken broth or vegetable broth.
There are different ways to make mushroom cream soup; some start with a roux and thin it with cream or milk before adding mushrooms and/or mushroom broth or any other broth. We start with the core ingredients which are the mushrooms and finish with cream. Our delicious, easy recipe is ready in less then 45 minutes and perfect for any occasion. It is even adjustable for vegans and keto diet followers.
There is a lot of depth and flavour in this soup, and because you can adapt it to your requirements, it is possible to have it several times, differently, throughout the season.
If you want to elevate this easy mushroom cream soup to a real luxury version, drizzle some drops of truffle oil just before serving.
Mushroom cream soup
- 400 gr button mushrooms
- 80 gr shallots
- 1 L chicken broth
- 150 ml cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pc bouquet garni
- 20 gr butter
- Wash, peel and chop the vegetables in medium sized pieces.
- Sauté the shallots for 2 minutes before adding the mushrooms and the lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture for 5-6 minutes with the lid on.
- Cover the mushrooms with the chicken broth, add the bouquet garni, season and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for a further 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the bouquet garni and blend the mushroom soup with a hand mixer. Pass through a sieve for a smooth texture.
- Season to taste and add the cream as per your liking.
- Combine the button mushrooms with some shitake, straw mushrooms or girolle mushrooms to diversify the flavour.
- The lemon juice is used to prevent the oxidation of the button mushrooms. it shouldn’t taste acidic.