Smoked salmon prepared the Scottish way requires a lot of time and space but instantly smoking fish or other ingredients at home is a completely different procédé and nowadays it’s easy with a smoking gun!
Instant smoked salmon takes only a few minutes and it will change some average dishes into exceptional recipes. The only resources required are a good smoking gun and the right kind of wood chips that usually come in different flavours. The smoking gun is a great gadget!
What is a smoking gun?
It might look weird to have a gun with a tube attached to a cloche with a hole. Despite its strange appearance, a smoking gun is an easy way to quickly ‘infuse’ smoky flavours to your food and drinks.
The barrel of the gun has a wood chamber on top and a tube coming out of the barrel. Press the wood chips into the chamber, then turn on the fan by pushing the button. This will ignite the chips with a flame, and you will instantly see smoke blowing through the tube into the cloche. If you like a very strong smoky flavour, you can leave the food covered for a few minutes, otherwise up to 1 minute should be enough.
Instant Smoked Salmon with baby potatoes
EQUIPMENT (affiliate links)
- 240 gr sliced cured salmon fillet gravlax
- 12 pcs baby potatoes
- 24 pcs green asparagus
- 120 gr Greek yoghurt
- 80 gr cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chopped flat parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- Pickled shallots
- Boil the baby potatoes in salted water until soft and tender.
- Whip the Greek yoghurt, cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper and ground cumin until slightly thick, then refrigerate.
- Sauté the green asparagus in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. They should be cooked but still crunchy.
- Prepare the smoking gun.
- Arrange the peeled baby potatoes and the salmon slices on a plate. Place the cloche on top and smoke for 30 seconds.
- Arrange all ingredients on a plate, and garnish with the petals of pickled shallots and fresh chopped herbs.
- Gravlax is cured salmon made with a mixture of salt and sugar.