Whether serving these cute sausage mummies at a kid’s party or at an adult Halloween event, sausage mummies are a fun addition to the party food and will bring a smile to everyone’s face!
All you need are sausages, puff pastry and edible eyes. Cut long strips from a sheet of puff pastry and wrap around the sausages. Brush with some egg wash to make them shiny during baking, then add the edible eyes to complete the look.
The eyes can also be homemade from steamed egg white. Simply add a little water in a pan and steam egg white covered over a low heat. Cut small circles or triangles and add small pieces of black olives on top.
For adults it is also possible to make slightly spicy mummies by wrapping soft chillies in the puff pastry strips. The red eyes can be made from fish eggs too.
Related: Pumpkin & spinach pinwheels
Halloween Sausage Mummies
- Roll out the puff pastry and use a pitta cutter or sharp knife to cut small strips of the pastry. Then brush with the egg wash.
- Use one strip to wrap around a sausage and trim off the end if it is too long. Brush the puff pastry again with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180°C or until ready. (Check the package of your preferred sausages). When removing the sausage mummies from the oven, place on a wire rack to cool.
- Add some edible eyes or make them from egg white and olives. Serve with ketchup and yellow mustard.
- Pat and dry the sausages well before wrapping them with the puff pastry strips.