A grilled vegetable and halloumi salad always brings a Mediterranean feeling to the table. This salad can be eaten as a starter, main course, or it can be served as a side dish.
Most vegetables in season that grill easily are good for this salad. We will give you the basis for this recipe and you can adjust in many ways depending on your preferences and the products you have on hand in your pantry and fridge. You can add leaves such as rocket or watercress, but you can also choose to add chickpeas or beans.
Halloumi, also named grill cheese or Cyprus cheese, originates from Cyprus and is unique in the world of cheese. Its texture is firm, and it can withstand being grilled or fried while still holding its shape. The taste is slightly salty but delicious with specific hints of sheep and goat’s milk. There is also vegan halloumi on the market for those who don’t eat dairy.
We are serving this dish with a light vinaigrette. The grilled lemon is a great addition to the grilled halloumi cheese and will give an extra tanginess and freshness to this dish.
Also read about our other Meditarranean flavoured dishes.
Mediterranean Grilled Vegetables and Halloumi Salad
- 250 gr halloumi cheese sliced
- 1 pc courgette or marrow
- 1 pc aubergine
- 1 pc green pepper
- 1 pc red pepper
- 1 pc yellow pepper
- 8 pcs halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 pc lemon
For the dressing
- 1 pc chopped garlic clove
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 pc squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100 ml olive oil
For the garnish
- Fresh mixed herbs (basil, Italian parsley and coriander)
- Prepare the dressing by placing all ingredients into a shaker or a glass jar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and shake the mixture.
- Slice all vegetables and marinate with a pinch of salt and a good amount of olive oil for 15 minutes.
- Grill all vegetables and the halved lemon on both sides until cooked but keep them firm.
- Grill the halloumi cheese slices for 2 minutes on both sides.
- Serve the grilled vegetables on a large plate with the halloumi cheese, grilled lemon and fresh herbs sprinkled around. The dressing is served on the side.
- Dry oregano, thyme or basil can be added to the dressing.
- Jazz up the salad with black and green olives, cooked chickpeas or pomegranate seeds.