Grilled prawns with original aïoli
Prawns on the grill are always well presenting. The strong specific flavour of the aïoli will make the difference in this dish.
What is aïoli?
Aïoli comes from the French words ail (garlic) and olive and mixing those ingredients with a potato makes this beautiful cold emulsion sauce.
Many people choose a shortcut and add garlic to mayonnaise but we are sharing the traditional classic recipe. We are using a soft-boiled egg to avoid a raw egg yolk and to prolong the storage time of this sauce.
Related: Tips for easy grilling on a gas barbecue
Grilled prawns with aïoli
The strong specific flavour of the aïoli makes the difference in this dish.
- 800 gr prawns (4 x 5 pcs)
For the aïoli
- 80 gr small peeled potato
- 1 pc head of garlic peeled
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pc egg
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Devein the prawns using a sharp knife and cut a small line on the back of the tail then remove the black vein (prawn’s intestine).
- After deveining the prawns, rinse them with cold water, this will ensure all leftovers of the intestines are gone.
- Arrange the prawns on a towel and refrigerate.
- Grill the prawns just before serving and serve the aïoli sauce on the side.
To make the aioli:
- Boil the potato in salted water with 6-8 garlic cloves until soft then make a thin puree with it.
- Prepare a soft-boiled egg and add only the yolk to the puree.
- Add an extra 2-3 raw crushed garlic cloves.
- Balance the flavours with lemon juice, cayenne pepper and add the olive oil.
- Use extra virgin olive oil for the aïoli, the bitterness of the olive oil will appear with each bite.
- If the flavour is too strong for your liking, cut the amount of olive oil with grape seed oil.
- The prawns are not marinated before grilling to avoid smoking and burning on the grill.
Nutrition for 1 portion
Calories: 548kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 41gFat: 40gCholesterol: 505mgSodium: 1556mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 290mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! #culinaryambition
Wow so easy..love garlic and love prawns…i will surely try it