Crunchy deep fried vegetable sticks are a great appetizer. Unfortunately many people are allergic to gluten. Fear no more! This gluten free batter mix is great for any deep fried recipe if you want crunch but still a fluffy, light crust.
Chia seeds will absorb 10 to 12 times their weight in water. They are a natural thickener with a sticky texture which will make a better coating batter mix for deep frying.
For a more crunchy fritter, replace the sticky rice flour with the chickpea flour. Make sure your oil is warm enough, use a thermometer for exact measurement.
Gluten free chia seed batter mix
- 120 gr cornmeal
- 115 gr sticky rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 130 ml soda water
- 170 ml lager beer made from rice,barley, millet,…
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Soak the chia seeds in 3 tablespoons of water for 20 minutes.
- Mix all wet ingredients (soda water, beer, chia seeds) with the help of a blender.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix in the wet mixture until you obtain a smooth and sticky batter mix.
- Season with salt, pepper and extra spices or herbs of your preference.