Dumplings are prepared and served around the world in many ways with a variety of fillings. The steamed version is the best known around the world, but if you ever come across dumplings with a crispy skirt, also called potstickers (Guō Tiē 锅=pot/wok, 贴=to stick), don’t hesitate to try these delightful dumplings. They are also referred to as Gyoza by the Japanese.
How to create dumplings with a crispy skirt
Instead of steaming the dumplings, they are pan fried with a vinegary corn starch slurry which creates a crunchy golden-coloured crust once the water evaporates and the dumplings brown.
Adding vinegar to flour and starch not only adds zing to the dish, but also creates the thinnest, crispiest skirt. Any vinegar will do, and corn starch can also be replaced by other kinds of starch. All-purpose flour can be substituted by rice flour.
It is crucial to use a good non-stick pan with a lid. We find it is easier to make an evenly cooked skirt when filling the pan completely with dumplings. Also prepare a big enough plate to flip the dumplings onto.
Pork Dumplings with a Crispy Skirt
- 60 pcs pcs wheat wrappers
For the filling
Cook the shiitake
- Cut the fresh shiitake mushrooms into small dice.
- Boil the shitake in water with the lid on for approximately 8-10 minutes.Place them in a colander and keep the cooking water for later.
Prepare the skirt mixture
- Combine all ingredients and whisk well. Keep aside.
Prepare the dumplings
- Combine the minced pork with the drained sweet corn, cooked shiitake and diced green chilli.
- Season with salt, Sichuan pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and grated ginger. Add 4-5 tbsp of the shiitake cooking juice and mix well.
- Place a spoonful of filling onto each wrapper. Seal the wrapper using the technique you’re most comfortable with.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by mixing all ingredients together.
Cook the dumplings
- Heat a little oil over high heat. Pan fry the dumplings shortly.
- Pour in the skirt mix, cover with a lid and cook over medium heat.
- Uncover when the liquid evaporates completely and cook for another 30 seconds to create a clear, golden-brown skirt.
- Flip the dumplings with skirt onto a plate and serve.