Crayfish with garlic is a very popular dish in Shanghai when in season.
This recipe can be quickly prepared and only needs a few ingredients. The chefs in the local restaurants flash fry the crayfish in huge woks before adding a generous amount of lager beer and fragrant garlic.
There is no need for additional dishes with this recipe, just indulge in the crayfish and when finished, do as the Chinese, and add cooked pasta, instant noodles or boiled ramen noodles to the remaining broth to finish the dish.
Also read other fish and seafood recipes.
Chinese style Crayfish with Garlic
- 500 gr crayfish
- 125 gr peeled garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tsp chicken stock powder
- 300 ml lager beer
- Wash the fresh crayfish under cold running water and brush the dirt off.
- Bring a large amount of water to boil and blanch the crayfish for 2 minutes.
- Clean the crayfish by removing the intestines.
- Chop the garlic cloves with the use of a food processor.
Cook the crayfish
- Warm cooking oil in a wok over a high heat and stir fry the crayfish, add salt, chicken stock powder, chopped garlic and the beer, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, remove the cooked crayfish, keep them aside and reduce the garlic broth for another 5 minutes. Season to taste. Arrange the garlic crayfish on the service tray and spoon the garlic broth over.