Is it a dressing or a sauce?
The difference is that sauces are cooked and dressings are not. Dressings also refer to ‘vinaigrettes’ which are basically oil and vinegar with added condiments and herbs.
The seasoning for Caesar dressing starts with the essential garlic and anchovies. Getting the flavours 100% right can be complex. It needs a hint of salt and a sour taste with a creamy texture. The quality of the cream is important but when the dressing is too thick you can add a dash of cold water.
To make this Caesar salad dressing, we prefer homemade mayonnaise over shop bought.
It is a fact that Caesar salad dressing is rich in calories, but it is a world-wide classic which is a favourite of many.
You can keep it in the fridge for 1 week.
Easy Homemade Caesar salad dressing
- Mix the garlic, vinegar and anchovies to a smooth purée with a hand mixer or small food processor.
- Add the horseradish, parmesan cheese and mayonnaise and mix.
- Stir or mix the cream into the mixture and season to taste.
- We prefer homemade mayonnaise over shop bought.
- If you like subtle flavours, substitute the rice vinegar with apple cider vinegar or any other mild vinegar.