Blinis are savoury pancakes and originate from Russia. They usually are bite size but today we have decided to indulge in a larger size of these leavened pancakes.
The small size blinis make perfect appetisers, but bigger size blini turn into a delicious breakfast.
Making good blinis requires patience as the batter needs to rest for a minimum of 3 hours. Just follow the recipe and nothing can go wrong! Make a batch as they can be frozen easily for later use.
A perfect poached egg required good timing and precision. The freshness of the egg is key to making a successful poached egg. Provide enough water with at least 10cm depth to be able to create a nice round egg shape. Adding vinegar to the water helps the egg white coagulate around the yolk. The time to poach an egg depends on the size of the egg and on your personal preference. The white needs to set and become opaque while the yolk needs to stay runny but hot. Check this post about how to make perfectly poached eggs in 3 steps.
A long-time delicacy in Russia, is the logical final touch to elevate this recipe and enjoy your luxurious breakfast. Oscietra sturgeon produce their wonderful grey colour eggs, named caviar, after 8 years. They have an earthy vegetable flavour with a taste of crustaceans, a buttery sweet bouquet and a saline after taste.
Blinis with poached egg and caviar
For the blinis
For the garnish
- 60 gr sour cream
- 1 pc tin caviar 20gr
Prepare the blinis
- Dissolve the yeast with 15 cl of warmed milk (30°C).Combine all dry ingredients, add the yeast mixture and whisk until smooth. Cover with cling film and rest for 3 hours at room temperature.
- Add the cold melted butter and egg yolk.
- Whip the egg white to soft peaks and gently fold into the batter mix.
- Grease a non-stick pan lightly with oil and sizzle a spoonful for 2-3 minutes before flipping over for another minute.Transfer the blinis onto a kitchen towel and keep them warm.
Poach the eggs
- See our article about poached eggs
Finish the dish
- Arrange a warm blini with sour cream. Place the poached egg with some fresh cracked pepper on top and spoon the caviar around.